Here are some things you should know about mold:
- Mold is a type of fungus. Other fungi include yeast and mushrooms.
- Outside mold is found in soil, decaying vegetation, compost piles, rotting wood and fallen leaves. Outdoor mold can get inside through open windows and doors, ventilation systems and on pets, clothing and shoes.
- Mold can grow on any surface including glass.
- Mold does not discriminate and is often found in clean environments.
- Mold grows year round and in all types of climates although it favors a warm and humid environment.
- Some people are more sensitive to mold than others. People who are allergic to mold, have asthma or have a weakened immune system are most likely to be harmed through mold exposure.
- To grow, mold needs food such as high moisture levels, high temperatures and excess humidity. After a flood or water intrusion,dry out services can help eliminate the potential for mold growth.
- Mold is a decomposer of organic materials such as wood, plants and animals.
- Molds are strong allergens although most people are not allergic to them.
- Common indoor mold include: cladosporium, penicillium, alternaria and aspergillus
- Only some molds produce mycotoxins which can be harmful to a person’s health.
- Mold often grows in hidden places such as behind wall paper and paint or in attics and basements.
- There will always be mold spores in the air. It is impossible to completely rid a property of mold. The best one can do is stay on the look out for mold problems and take care of them as needed. If you find mold growth in your home, mold remediation specialists can take care of the problem.
(Visited 111 times, 1 visits today)