Black mold can be very dangerous if not taken care of quickly once discovered. While there can be many causes of black mold in a home, the most common are usually moisture build up and improper ventilation. Eliminating any moisture problems and ensuring proper ventilation to the affected area will make the black mold removal process much simpler and provide piece of mind that there will be no problems in the future. Keep in mind that black mold is toxic and should be treated as such. Proper safety precautions should be taken with any black mold removal to avoid any health problems.
Recognizing and identifying black mold is relatively easy but mold can and will spread to hidden, unseen areas if given the chance. Professional help may be in order and is highly recommended if you have any doubts as to the scope of your black mold infestation. A little surface mold clean up is easy for the do-it-yourself-er but major growths need professional help.
If you decide to go it alone then some preparation is in order. Because black mold spores can be a health hazard when cleaning you need to make sure that you minimize your exposure. Protective covering for your eyes, gloves to cover your hands, and a breathing mask will be required. Take your time and be sure to take breaks often on bigger jobs to prevent over exposure.
Also, you need to seal off the area you’re cleaning from the rest of the house. Mold spores will be stirred up when cleaning and travel easily to other parts of the house. Duct tape and plastic sheeting are perfect for covering doorways, vents, and other openings that lead to other parts of the house. Opening a window and placing an exhaust fan blowing outside will help push any mold spores outside.
For surfaces that are dry, a light mist of water should be used during black mold removal to help prevent excessive mold spores from becoming airborne. Thoroughly clean all visible mold and the surrounding area with soap to remove as much mold as possible. A disinfectant that kills mold spores should then be used to make sure any mold that has been missed is killed. Dry the affected area to ensure mold doesn’t take up residence in the newly cleaned area.
Any mold infested materials like ceiling tiles, sheet rock, or wallpaper for example should be placed in heavy-duty plastic bags. Do not move the bags outside this room! Instead toss the bags out the window to avoid transporting black mold throughout the house and dispose of them properly.
- Mold Remediation CostsHiring someone to get rid of mold does have a price. The presence of mold often has a price as well. The reality is that mold can cause serious health problems. In some cases, it can cause structural damage as well. These factors make mold removal a practicality that there are few options for. So ... Read more
- Mold InspectionMold inspection is the process of determining if mold exists in your home and, if it does, where it is growing. Here are some of the most common tasks that need to be completed when performing mold inspection in your home. Locate water leakage The first process in mold inspection is to locate water problem or ... Read more
- Chemical Based or Earth Friendly Mold Remover?Mold is something that we’ve all seen. Perhaps уοu’ve had tο battle іt out οf thе corner οf уοur shower stall with a mold remover οr even work away аt moldy grout. Whatever уοur case, we all know thаt mold іѕ stubborn. An uninvited house guest, іt саn bе difficult tο remove аnd usually mаkеs ... Read more
- Basement Mold RemovalIf you are unfortunate to get water damage in your basement this year, be sure to properly implement a basement mold removal strategy. Causes of Basement Mold Two of the leading causes of mold in basement and other interior locations is dampness and poor ventilation. In most interior locations biological agents are directly the causation ... Read more
- Mold CleanupYou can use your basic household cleaning agents for mold clean up. But before starting with mold clean up, first you have to inspect your house for those stinky and unhealthy molds. Check common places where there is a big possibility for mold growth. Common areas may include the bathroom, kitchen, basement and the laundry ... Read more
- Mold Remediation TipsMold problem is a growing concern among renters, homeowners, and building owners, too. This makes effective mold remediation absolutely necessary. Mold control professionals can help in how to kill black mold and in getting rid of mold problems. However, you can always find mold remediation tips that you can do yourself. When mold remediation is ... Read more
- How to Clean MoldIt is important that you regularly inspect your house for signs of mold buildup. As people get aware of the harmful effects of mold to our homes, mold and mildew products have been created and manufactured. Mold Cleaning Products There are several mold cleaning products in the market today. But if the supermarket near you ... Read more
- Household Mold RemovalHousehold mold is dangerous to your health and it is wise for households to properly remove the mold. This article will provide you with some Household mold removal tips, tricks, and procedures so it can save the occupants from unwanted and nasty side effects that could be debilitating. The following list is a proven and ... Read more
- Which Mold Remover to UseIf you need a mold removal product, you can choose whether to use instant mold removal products or create your own mold remover. The important thing is you keep your house mold-free as much as possible. Homeowners must beware of the impact mold can bring. It could pose serious material damages to your home and ... Read more