How to Kill Black Mold

Black mold is dangerous to your health

Black mold is a serious and potentially life-threatening contamination. Not only it can ruin your house, black mold could bring serious health problems to you and your family.

How to Remove Black Mold

Removing the mold releases its spores into the air and could result in very serious illness while cleaning. For severe contamination, consult with professionals for removal. If the black mold has taken over entire walls or rooms, it has probably also spread to floorboards and insulation. A full scale attack on the mold will need to be taken and a professional mold removal service will be able to extinguish the mold without destroying the house.

For a superficial contamination, the Center for Disease Control recommends finding a mold removal product. Or you can make your own by mixing one part bleach with one part water for non-porous areas like the tiles, bathroom floor, windows and counter tops. For small areas and hard to reach areas, you can make a paste with a mixture of baking soda and vinegar.

Spray the black mold with mold removal mixture

  1. Apply the mold removal product or mixture to the area contaminated with black mold
  2. Scrub it thoroughly. For small areas, use a regular toothbrush
  3. Allow the area to dry completely

If the problem persists, repeat as necessary. For small areas of mold, this simple treatment should be enough to destroy the mold.

As for clothes, dry-cleaning is recommended for those with silk or wool fabric. While for cotton fabrics, it is important that they are properly washed, rinsed then dried. For leather goods, you can use a solution of alcohol and water. It is important to make cleaning a habit to prevent the growth of black mold.

If the black mold has infested anything replaceable, don’t attempt to clean it.

Caution

Protect yourself with a N95 mask when you remove black mold

Remember to use personal safety equipment while dealing with any mold issue.

  • Wearing gloves, glasses and full protective covering is essential.
  • Be sure to use a N95 mask to ensure the mold spores cannot penetrate and cause respiratory distress.